The following is from an actual job ad.
As the Account Executive, primary responsibilities will include outbound calling and selling, structuring, negotiating, and implementing contracts with eCommerce companies, Internet companies, and other relationships by performing the following duties:
- Generate new leads and sources for leads to expand and grow specific partner programs
- Seek out, research and qualify prospects
- Close sales to attain and exceed quota goals
- Collaborate with marketing department to develop strategies for establishing partnerships and business relationships
- Customize solutions to fit client needs
- Manage relationships and contracts with various prospects, clients, and partners in the eCommerce environment
- Provide input to the management team on new product or service features, quality issues, and customer needs and demands
There’s nothing wrong with that description. It details some specific activities that the salesperson will perform
but does this job description really get to the essence of what the job is all about?
Here is an exercise I learned many years ago. The idea is to take any occupation and describe the primary objective Read the rest of this entry